A Little Reassurance If You Please – by Lisa Kelly
At last week’s doctor appointment, my doc was unavailable due to an emergency surgery. I opted to take another doc who gave me the quick once over and said if I felt okay, she wouldn’t examine me. She thought the baby felt like she was transverse but would likely turn. At today’s appointment, my doctor was present and decided we would take a look at the babies’ position based on my gut feeling and the other doctor’s notes. Sure enough, my stubborn baby girl is still transverse and very high in my abdomen.
After finding which end was head (under my right rib cage) and which was butt (under my left rib cage) she suddenly announced the cord was looped around her neck in such a way that a C section was in order. I said “No. I will not have a surgery.” She said “Okay, she is not a candidate for turning and she will die if she drops into the pelvis this way.” Wow. Let’s just let that sink in for a second or two. I asked what would happen if I refused and let nature run it’s course and pray for the best. She answered very firmly “You both could die. She is showing no signs of turning on her own and has no room with that cord to drop properly.” So here I am, thinking I have two weeks to a natural delivery and instead finding out I have four days to get ready for a major surgery.
I have never been cut open and frankly, it terrifies me. I wonder if I could refuse and wait but then again, how would I cope if I did that and she didn’t survive my own selfishness? I don’t think I’m willing to take that risk. I am hoping some of you have had successful C sections and can offer advice and feel good stories of success.